IOC President likely to be blasted at Munich memorial in London
IOC President Jacques Rogge plans to attend a memorial service in London on Monday for the eleven Israeli athletes who were murdered at the Munich Olympics 40 years ago. It ought to be justifiably uncomfortable for him
Monday’s service, which is a Jewish community event, has created a “dilemma” for organizers, according to the London Jewish Chronicle.
IOC president Jacques Rogge refused international appeals including from that of President Barack Obama to the Israeli widows of the Munich 11 to legislators around the world to hold a moment of silence during last week’s opening ceremonies of the London Olympics for Israelis slain by Palestinian terrorists during the Munich games.
British Jewish leaders said they did not feel that they could withdraw an invitation to Rogge because they did not formally offer one, according to the Chronicle. Rogge has said he will attend the event and he has met privately with two widows of the murdered Israelis.
One of those women, Ankie Spitzer, told the Chronicle, “I have been asked to speak. What I am going to say to the IOC will not be nice. But that’s too bad. I do not want to see them there… I will tell them they are two-faced hypocrites and should have stayed at home. ”
Actually, if Mrs. Spitzer has the courage to tell Rogge to his face what she thinks of him, I think he ought to be forced to hear that.
Labels: London Olympics, Munich Olympic massacre